White House Ruin is composed of two parts: a larger room block on the canyon floor that rose to four stories high in the back, and another set of rooms built in a rock shelter immediately above. The upper rooms could have been reached from the fourth-story roof of the lower structure. The bulging, stained walls of the rock face above the rock shelter have made the site a favorite photographic subject. Timothy O’Sullivan photographed the site in the mid-1870s, and it has been well photographed ever since, including by Ansel Adams. Photograph by Charles A. and Anne Morrow Lindbergh, 1929.
Usage: Courtesy Museum of Indian Arts and Culture
Credit: Photograph by Charles A. and Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Note: Representative image at left is often cropped for display purposes. Downloaded high-resolution images are not cropped.