Toledo, fourteenth century, El Tránsito
Museo Sefardí, Toledo, (0243/014, 0243/015)
Built in the 14th century, El Tránsito was one of the largest synagogues and one of the few that survived. Turned into a Catholic church after the 1492 expulsion, it is today a museum in Toledo, Spain. This stucco fragment came from the Women’s Gallery in the synagogue.
This image is made available to media for use in promoting exhibitions and events at the New Mexico History Museum and Palace of the Governors. Permission is required for all other uses; reprint fees may apply. Contact emily.brock @state.nm.us.
Note: Representative image at left is often cropped for display purposes. Downloaded high-resolution images are not cropped.