From the exhibition:
Telling New Mexico: Stories from Then and Now
New Mexico History Museum
In 1918, the state of New Mexico presented a 56-piece Tiffany silver service set to the battleship USS New Mexico. The set contains this humidor in the shape of a pueblo-style building, as well as a number of plates, each of which has a different scene – Coronado’s Expedition 1540-42; San Miguel Chapel – Oldest Church in the US; and the First Locomotive through Raton Pass – 1879.
The USS New Mexico served as the first flagship of the United States Pacific Fleet, and was a vital part of U.S. operations in the Pacific Theater of WWII. After the battleship was decommissioned in 1946, the service was used on the carrier Midway and the flat-top Bon Homme Richard before it was donated to the Palace of the Governors.
On display in the History Museum’s main exhibit, Telling New Mexico: Stories from Then and Now.
Photo by Blair Clark, New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs
Note: Representative image at left is often cropped for display purposes. Downloaded high-resolution images are not cropped.