FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 25, 2016
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE—September 14, 2016 (Alcade, NM): The New Mexico Historic Sites is sponsoring the Los Luceros Fall Apple Festival on Sunday, September 25, 2016 from 12pm to 4pm. New Mexicans are encouraged to bring the whole family for a fun afternoon in Alcalde. The Fall Apple Festival will include an educational presentation on heritage apples, demonstrations of apple cooking ideas with take-home recipes, a cider pressing demonstration, live music, and tours of the historic ranch buildings. There will also be an exhibition space for area agricultural groups offering resources including the FFA, 4HA and extension office. The festival will be held at the the Los Luceros historic property located off State Route 68 in Alcalde, New Mexico.
In a state blessed with numerous cultural gems, the 148-acre Los Luceros ranch located north of Española along the Rio Grande near the village of Alcalde is special. The cultural site is surely one of New Mexico’s most scenic and historically significant properties.
“The harvest of apples, the time of year, and this meaningful property all lead to a perfect day for visitors to enjoy this Historic Site,” said Patrick Moore, the director of New Mexico Historic Sites.
The centerpiece of the historic Los Luceros ranch complex is Casa Grande, a 5,700 square-foot, 18th century Territorial-style adobe home, which was renovated by the Cabot Foundation in 2004 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The property also includes a visitor’s center, director’s residence and a small gallery. In addition to the hacienda and the visitor center complex, the property contains three residences, an 18th century chapel, the original village jail, numerous farm buildings, apple orchards, irrigated pasture and bosque on the Rio Grande.
The New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs, which purchased the Los Luceros property from the family of Frank and Ann Cabot in 2008, is the state’s cultural steward and is working to ensure the site’s preservation and integrity in perpetuity.
Jennifer Padilla 505-577-1347 email@example.com
The New Mexico Historic Site system was established on March 14, 1931 by an Act for the Preservation of the Scientific Resources of New Mexico, on the recommendation of the Science Commission and with the approval of the Commissioner of Public Lands to "declare by public proclamation that historic and prehistoric structures and other objects of scientific interest that are situated upon the lands owned or controlled by the State of New Mexico, shall be state monuments, and may reserve as a part thereof such parcels of land as may be necessary to the proper care and management of the objects to be protected." In the ensuing years, sixteen historic sites have been proclaimed and designated. Over the years, five of the historic sites were transferred to the National Park Service. Seven sites are active and open to the public. These include Fort Sumner Historic Site/Bosque Redondo Memorial, Coronado, El Camino Real Historic Trail Site, Fort Selden, Jemez, Fort Stanton and Lincoln.