FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 29, 2018
(Bernalillo, New Mexico) -- The Friends of Coronado Historic Site are hosting a lecture entitled “Him Old Ruins: Edgar Lee Hewett and the Archaeology of Pueblo Painting” Sunday, Nov. 18 at 2 p.m. in the DeLavy House in Bernalillo.
Archaeologist Edgar Lee Hewett had a profound impact on art as it developed in New Mexico and beyond. During the early 1900s, he established a school and two major museums in Santa Fe: today known as the School for Advanced Research, the Museum of New Mexico, and the New Mexico Museum of Art. In addition to training the first generation of southwestern archaeologists, he provided jobs and studio space for Santa Fe’s first resident artists and played a key role in the development of Pueblo painting.
Hewett provided support for young Pueblo artists such as Fred Kabotie and hosted the world’s first exhibition of Pueblo watercolor painting. Hewett’s role in establishing the Southwest Indian Fair, precursor to today’s Santa Fe Indian Market, will be discussed during the lecture as well as Hewett’s relationship with the artists.
Guest lecturer, Nancy Owen Lewis has a doctorate in anthropology from the University of Massachusetts and is currently a scholar in residence at the School for Advanced Research in Santa Fe. She is the award-winning author of Chasing the Cure in New Mexico: Tuberculosis and the Quest for Health (Museum of New Mexico Press, 2016) and A Peculiar Alchemy: A Centennial History of SAR, co-authored with Kay Hagen (SAR Press, 2007). She has published five articles on the health seeker movement, including “High and Dry in New Mexico: Tuberculosis and the Quest for Health,” which received the 2013 Gilberto Espinosa Award from the New Mexico Historical Review. She serves on the boards of the Historical Society of New Mexico, the Historic Santa Fe Foundation, and is a fellow of the Society for Applied Anthropology.
The lecture will take place at the Sandoval County Historical Society Museum (DeLavy House) on Edmond Road and Hwy 550, Bernalillo. Admission is $5; Friends of CHS are free. For more information visit: kuaua.com or phone Barb at 815-978-5327.
Coronado Historic Site is open daily, except Tuesdays, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $5. A combination ticket, good for admission to both Jémez and Coronado Historic Sites is available for $7. First Sunday admission for New Mexico residents with ID is free. Wednesday admission is free to New Mexico Seniors (60+) with ID. Children 16 and under are always admitted free. Coronado Historic Site is part of the New Mexico State Historic Sites, a division of the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs.
About New Mexico Historic Sites: http://nmhistoricsites.org/ On March 14, 1931, the New Mexico Historic Site system was established by an Act for the Preservation of the Scientific Resources of New Mexico, to "declare by public proclamation that historic and prehistoric structures and other objects of scientific interest that are situated upon the lands owned or controlled by the State of New Mexico, shall be state monuments, and may reserve as a part thereof such parcels of land as may be necessary to the proper care and management of the objects to be protected." Under the direction of the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs, six sites are open to the public: Coronado, Fort Selden, Fort Stanton, Fort Sumner Historic Site/Bosque Redondo Memorial, Jemez, and Lincoln. The Los Luceros Historic Property is open to the public during scheduled events and by appointment (505) 476-1130.
In 2004, the J. Paul Taylor Family bequeathed the Barela-Reynolds House and Property on the Mesilla Plaza to the Department of Cultural Affairs. Still serving as J. Paul Taylor’s private home, the property will become a Historic Site after his passing. Events, news releases and images about activities at New Mexico Historic Sites, and other Department of Cultural Affairs divisions can be accessed at media.newmexicoculture.org.